Bearfort Mountain North
- Elevation: 1460 feet
- : 41.1819, -74.359
- County: Passaic
- Ownership: public
- Owner: Abram S. Hewitt State Park
- Trail Map: NYNJTC North Jersey Trails #116
- Topo Map: Acme Mapper
- Nearest Higher Neighbor: Bearfort Mountain, 3.33 miles.
Other Members Who Have Climbed Bearfort Mountain North
- Anthony Lipovsky (trip report)
- Brian Lubbert
- Brom Vermeulen (trip report)
- Don Weise (trip report)
- Doug Weiss (trip report)
- Eric Koppel (trip report)
- George Grzyb (trip report)
- Gregory Bubniak (trip report)
- Hayley (trip report)
- Jeff Bennett
- John Bialek
- John Kopp (trip report)
- jon (trip report)
- Karen Englander (trip report)
- Louis Eisinger
- Ralph Bressler (trip report)
- Scott Baxter-Green (trip report)
- Simon Cope
- SoloJoe (trip report)
- starben62 (trip report)
- Thomas Bubniak
- William Maurer (Hoosier) (trip report)
Description: Bearfort Mountain North consists of two parallel ridges, each of which has many subridges. The lower, eastern ridge is like traversed by the Bearfort Ridge trail. The slightly higher, western ridge is has only the faintest trace of a herd path. The true summit is southwest of West Pond and can be climbed from location where the Ernest Walter trail makes a 90 degree turn towards the north.
The true summit has unobstructed views towards the east, with New York City being visible through a gap in the mountains. (view pictured) The best view on Bearfort North is "Grand View" just over the New York border on the AT, but there are other views from the eastern end of the Ernest Walter trail.
Bearfort Mountain North is part of New York/New Jersey's Green Pond Outlier, a long, almost uninterrupted ridge extending from Green Pond Mountain central Morris County, NJ to Schunemunk Mountain in Orange County, New York and includes Bearfort Mountain, Mount Newfoundland, Kanouse Mountain, and Copperas Mountain.
The Green Pond Outlier is distinct from the rest of the Highlands in that its rocks are younger and are sedementary.